- facilitate rest.
– when they can not talk because they are too tired give them respite
– allow stillness without loneliness
– when weary of wearing their heart on them like a winter coat take it off them and store it gently
- build dependability.
– be solid and unyielding for them to fall on when their knees give out
– share freely of yourself before they have to ask
– cherish tears like you do laughter and never allow them to feel as though it is just water now when they cry
- nurse as with illness.
– offer chicken soup and tv shows and lilies and a warm shoulder
– do not dismiss the healing power of hand holding
– tend and be tender and love tenderly when they grow stiff from tending their own garden
- remind them why you are there.
– show sometimes instead of telling because sometimes the telling is unconvincing
– tell sometimes instead of showing because it is easy to forget
– grow patterns and routines and traditions and initiate so give life to the union itself and it never has to suffer neglect
- be genuine.
– above all love in truth
– do no not allow the feeling of burden to make a home in their minds
– that will unravel all of the work that has been done thus love in totality or love not at all
Photo Credit: Yagazie Emezi